Home | Audio | DIY | Guitar | iPods | Music | Brain/Problem Solving | Links| Site Map
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Water Logged iPod
Wow, iPods falling into the toilet appears to be a common problem. We get tons of emails about this every month. And as you might imagine, the toilet isn't always full of clean water.
Here's a general piece of advice, don't use your iPod in the bathroom. Stick your iPod in a backpack or leave it on your desk. You don't necessary need to listen to "Move It" by Christina Aguilera while sitting on the toilet.
- Any waterlogged or wet iPod
Many electronic devices can be rescued from water immersion if you act quickly. Here's what to do if your iPod falls into a body of water whether that water is an ocean or a dirty toilet.
- Pull the iPod out of the water. Use a Toiletta if you have one. It's a handy little cleaning and item retrieval tool for your toilet.
- Kill the power! Water and electricity don't mix. Removing power immediately is the most important step, because the electrolytic action of electricity, metals and a liquid, causes rapid corrosion of the fine electrical connections. So turn it off ASAP!
- If it was immersed in clean water, a careful dry out is all that may be required. If it was immersed in dirty water, attempt to rinse it as best as you can. Then, shake out excess water, blow into crevasses with a can of air, shop air hose, etc. until no more water droplets come out.
- Next, place it in a warm spot, such as near a heater or warm air vent. Wait 48 hours or more. The longer you wait the better. It needs to completely dry out. Always wait until the iPod is completely dry before plugging it in, or using it.
- Once the iPod has completely dried out, cross your fingers and try turning it on. If you are lucky, it might work.
- If you are having issues like the Folder icon or Sad Face, you should probably try to erase and restore it. That might work if the hard drive just got a little whacked.
- However, you may need to replace a few parts inside depending on what exactly happened. Please check out our VIP Repair Service for a hardware repair estimate and more information. Also, please warn them it fell into the toilet before they crack open your iPod and find dried urine and a dingle-berry inside.
- Look on the bight side, at least you didn't stick it in the washing machine.
Home | Audio | DIY | Guitar | iPods | Music | Links | Brain and Problem Solving | Site Map | Contact