Home | Audio | DIY | Guitar | iPods | Music | Brain/Problem Solving | Links| Site Map
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Apple Computer Troubleshooting Guide for the iPodMore iPod How To's
iPod Trouble shooting tips
- How to Update iPod - It is important that you have the latest version of iTunes and then using iTunes determine if you need to update your iPod software.
- How to Restore the iPod - It is important to understand the difference between "update" and "restore". Update simply installs the software that controls iPod and does not affect the songs and files stored on iPod's disk. Restore erases the iPod's disk and restores iPod to its original factory condition. So you'll lose all your songs and videos unless you have a backup.
- How to Reset iPod - Learn how to reset or restart iPod following a freeze. If your iPod is frozen or won't turn on, it may be because iPod is paused or the Hold switch is in the locked position, check that first. All music and files are saved, but some customized settings may be lost. Other customized settings, such as Bookmarks, On-The-Go Playlists, Shuffle, Backlight timer, and so forth are preserved from the last time the hard drive turned on.
- How to Identify iPod Models - This document will help you determine the model of iPod you have as well as the latest version of iPod software available for your model.
- How to Find The iPod Serial Number - You'll need this for service and registration. Engraved on back of metal surface. If you can't read it then this document will show you how to find it.
- What do do about Sad iPod icon and folder icons
Using the iPod as a hard disk
- How to Change the iPod Display Language - Your iPod is multilingual and can be set to display one of many languages. If you've accidentally chosen the wrong language for your iPod, follow the steps on this page to change the language display.
- How to Use the iPod As an External Hard Disk - You can use your iPod as a drive (hard drive or flash drive depending on your iPod) to store and transfer data files on (also known as disk mode) read more
- How to Find Out How Much Space Is Left on iPod
Songs and data files take up space. To see how much space is left on your iPod. iPod Software 1.3 or later, and 2.0 and later
1.Select Settings from the main menu.
- How to Disconnect iPod From Your Computer
If you haven't set up iPod to "Enable disk use" or "Manually manage music and video," just unplug it when it says "OK to Disconnect" or "Charging" to disconnect it safely.
If you use iPod with the "Enable disk use" or "Manually manage music and video" options turned on, you must eject it before disconnecting it from your computer. Read more and if it doesn't eject then read more
Tips on iPod battery use
- How to Get the Most Out of the iPod Battery
To get the most out of one charge of iPod's battery, install the latest iPod software, use the Hold switch, and keep iPod at room temperature read more
- How to Charge iPod's Internal Battery
Important: Your iPod will stop charging if the computer, or laptop, it's connected to enters standby, hibernation, or sleep mode. Connect ithe iPod directly to a computer's USB port and make sure standby, hibernation, or sleep mode is turned off.
- How to play songs While Charging the iPod
Also iPod Battery Help and what to do if your iPod won't charge
Playing songs and using the playlist
- How to Play or Pause a Song on the iPod
To play select the song using the scroll wheel and Select button, press the Play button. Press Play again to pause the song. If you have selected another song and you press the Play/Pause button, the new song plays immediately. Note: You can also select an artist, album, or playlist and press Play to play songs.
- How to Transfer Songs to your iPod
- How to Transfer Specific Playlists to iPod
- How to Delete Songs or Playlists from iPod
- How to Browse the iPod by Artist
- How to Browse the iPod by Album Title
- How to Browse for a Song by Title
You can find any song stored on iPod by scrolling through an alphabetical list of song titles. Select Songs in the main menu, then scroll to a song and press the Play button.You can also look for songs by artist or by album.
- How to Skip to the Next or Previous Song on the iPod
Using iPod Controls
- How to Set iPod to Repeat or Shuffle Songs
- How to Use iPod's Controls
- How to Fast-Forward and Rewind a Song on the iPod
- How to Put the iPod to Sleep.
Press and hold the Play/Pause button until the iPod screen turns off. Press any button to turn iPod on. If you have an iPod shuffle, slide the switch on the back to the Off position.
- How to Disable Automatic Updating of iPod
To transfer individual songs and playlists manually, without erasing music from iPod, you must disable automatic updating.
- How to Navigate iPod Menus
- How to Disable iPod's Buttons Using the Hold Switch
Don't forget to use the hold switch when you put your iPod in your pocket or purse - it will prevent it from automatically turning on and running down your battery read more
- How to Turn on the Backlight
- How to Turn the iPod On and Off
- About Sleep, Deep Sleep and Hibernation
- How to Adjust the iPod Sound Volume
- How to Set the Sleep Timer
You can set iPod to turn off automatically after a specific period of time, useful for listening until you fall asleep.
- How to Set the iPod Screen Contrast
- How to Set the iPod Backlight Timer
iPod help - miscellaneous
- How to Connect the iPod to Your Home or Car Stereo
- How to Use the Apple Headphones with the iPod
- How to Use Headphones or Speakers With iPod
- How to Rename Your iPod
- How to Use iPod Calendar Alarms
- How to Prevent iTunes From Opening Automatically
- How to Clean the iPod
- How to Share iPod on a Computer With Multiple Users
- How to manually set iPod Disk Mode
More iPod How To's
Home | Audio | DIY | Guitar | iPods | Music | Links | Brain and Problem Solving | Site Map | Contact